Welcome to First Grade!
First grade rocks!! We look forward to watching the students become readers. This will be a big focus this year. We also will become fluent at our addition and subtraction facts to 20.
Students will receive homework on Mondays that needs to be returned on Fridays. Homework will include reading nightly with responding to the story in writing. There will also be math pages.
Click here to see the first grade SOAR Matrix.
Math Power Standards
In first grade, your child will build on last year's work and gain new important skills.
- One of the most important outcomes for the year is to IMPROVE speed and accuracy adding within a sum of 20 or less and subtracting from a number 20 or less (e.g. 17 - 8 ). Another skill is becoming fluent in addition facts to 10 and subtraction facts from 10.
- Another important goal in first grade understands PLACE VALUE to add and subtract. (e.g. 38 + 5, 29 + 20, 64 + 27, 80 - 50)
- Working with Numbers to 20 using hundreds, tens and ones place value and along with comparing 2 numbers (greater than, less than, and equal to).
Reading Power Standards
In first grade, your child will become a more INDEPENDENT READER AND WRITER.
- Your child will continue to LEARN and practice rules for reorganizing the SOUNDS that make up words and will be able to sound out words that are more complex. Such foundational skills are necessary and important components of developing proficient readers with the capacity to comprehend a wide range of materials.
- Students will learn to THINK about what they read and TALK about the main ideas of simple stories. As they write and speak, first graders will learn to use language appropriately; this includes using complete sentences and spelling words with increasing accuracy.
At Alsup, we follow PBiS. We believe in this data-driven decision making framework for establishing the social culture and behavioral supports needed for a school to be an effective learning environment for ALL students and staff.