Welcome to Second Grade!
Here are your second grade teachers for the 2020-2021 school year:
Ms. Mazzeo Mrs. Turnacliff
We are very excited for the 2020-2021 school year. Please use this page as a resource and contact us if you have any questions!
- Classroom Newsletter goes home on Monday. This will have important information so please look for it!
- Second Grade will have two field trips to support our curriculum. Information will go home in advance.
Homework is sent home on Monday and needs to be returned completed on Friday.
Click here to see second grade's SOAR Matrix.
Math Power Standards
By the end of second grade, these are the math standards your student needs to have mastered:
Operations & Algebraic Thinking:
- Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one and two step problems.
- Fluently add and subtract using mental strategies.
Number & Operations:
- Understanding three digit numbers represent 100, 10, 1’s.
- Mastery of fact fluency for addition and subtraction up to 20
Measurement & Data:
- Measure the length of objects using both metric and standard methods
- Tell and write time to the nearest five minutes.
- Identify and count pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, and dollar bills in word problems.
- Interpret data from graphs
- Draw and identify shapes.
- Partition circles and rectangles into halves, thirds, fourths
Reading Power Standards
Reading Literature & Informational Text:
- Able to identify and explain the key ideas and details
- Describe and explain character points of view
- Compare and contrast different stories and the central message
- Know and use non-fiction text features
Phonics and Word Recognition:
- Read grade level words fluently
- Use context to confirm information